Domain Name FAQ's
What domain names are allowed?
Only the characters a-z, 0-9 and hyphens are allowed in domain names.
Domain names which end in .co.uk must be at least 3 characters long. The exception to this rule is that 2 character names are allowed if the first character is a number and the second is a letter, e.g. 3x.co.uk.
What are the requirements for .ltd.uk and .plc.uk domains?
To register a domain name ending in .ltd.uk or .plc.uk:
- your company must be a limited, or public limited company (for .ltd.uk and .plc.uk respectively) and
- the domain name must match your company name, as registered at Companies House.
Who is each Top Level Domain (TLD) for?
- .co.uk - for commercial enterprises in the UK (also available to individuals)
- .ltd.uk - for limited companies in the UK
- .plc.uk - for public limited companies in the UK
- .org.uk - for organisations in the UK which do not 'fit' into the other categories (also available to individuals)
- .com - for commercial enterprises world-wide (also available to individuals)
- .org - for organisations world-wide which do not 'fit' into the other categories (also available to individuals)
- .biz - for commercial enterprises world-wide (also available to individuals)
- .info - for informational sites world-wide (also available to individuals)
Other, specialised and foreign, TLDs are available. Please contact us to discuss any specific requirements. There are other rules on allowable names, but if you stay within these guidelines you should be OK.
What T&C's apply to domain names?
When registering a domain name, whether directly or via an agent such as INCO, you enter into a contract with the supplier of the domain name; the registrar. Links to the Terms & Conditions for some of the registrars that INCO uses to register client's domain names are listed below:
Nominet: http://www.nominet.org.uk/ref/terms.html (*.uk domains)
Network Solutions: http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/legal/static-service-agreement.jhtml (*.com & *.org domains)
Fasthosts / UKReg: https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/companyinfo/terms-of-service/registration-agreement
Terms & Conditions for other registrars, when used for customer specific registrations will be provided in writing (to the customer for whom the domains are being registered) upon request.